Only Australian Institute of Fitness can get you certified as an Institute Exercise Therapist.
It’s an innovative, highly researched and relevant course that will empower you to help make positive change to patients suffering from known and identified chronic conditions. The program requires specific prior experience and knowledge, so please call 1300 669 669 and speak with the Careers Team to see if you qualify.
As an Exercise Therapist you’ll be able to deliver exercise to people with chronic conditions in accordance with guidelines from those in the health and medical network, effectively taking referrals from Allied Health Professionals.
You will be opening up more opportunities, and could deliver exercise plans in a broad range of settings, including exercise therapy clinics, medical and rehabilitation clinics, hospitals, health care centres, corporate health, as well as in health clubs and gyms.
As an Exercise Therapist you’ll learn to:
- Work collaboratively with Allied Health Professionals, such as Exercise Physiologists, General Practitioners, Physiotherapists and Dieticians.
- Receive referrals from, consult with, and report back to Allied Health Professionals.
- Deliver exercise plans on a one-on-one or group basis, which may include older clients and children with chronic but stable conditions.
- Progress and review the progression of a prescribed exercise plan within the scope specified by the referring Allied Health Professional.
- Provide advice to the client regarding lifestyle modifications in accordance with established best practice to enhance the management of stable health or medical conditions.
About the program
The Institute’s Exercise Therapist program will suit you if you’re an established Personal Trainer or health professional who already has industry experience and who is looking to up-skill. Also, having a desire to work with people who have chronic conditions or lifestyle diseases is really important. You should want to make a difference, and be driven by a desire to help or improve the health of those around you.
There’s no doubt it requires dedication and maturity. You will be working alongside Allied Health Professionals as part of a treatment and recovery team, so it is an incredibly important role, but also a hugely rewarding career path as you will be helping fellow human beings to improve the quality of their life.
The program is delivered online, through eBooks and assessments, and there will be also be three compulsory face-to-face workshops, known as Exercise Therapy Clinics. You will have 18 months in which to complete the program, which will lead to the qualification, Diploma of Fitness (SIS50210).
The program has been developed by Australia’s leading team of academics (mainly PhDs) and highly qualified and respected health and fitness experts who have extensive knowledge and experience of the application of exercise to manage health conditions. The authors were handpicked, and come from places such as University of the Sunshine Coast, Bond University, and Southern Cross University.
It has been highly customised for the purposes of exercise therapy for a wide range of chronic conditions, and electives have been chosen for the specialty areas of disabilities, neurological impairment, children and older adults, as well as metabolic, cardio-respiratory and musculoskeletal conditions.